Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Possession of Beauty: Aesthetic Vision

John Ruskin thought that drawing should be taught at the same level as language in every child's education, whether they have any artistic talent or not. Ruskin claimed that looking at the world with the intention of rendering what we see changes our experience entirely, which I have confirmed for myself recently. Although I have no artistic talent and do not intend to learn, I find that I am able to switch over to an aesthetic awareness of my own visual field at will and without effort. Since I don't actually intend to render what I see, this effect lasts only about 60 seconds for me. I am quite certain that if I intended to sketch what I saw, I could maintain this posture indefinitely.

Follow this link to the chapter that introduced me to Ruskin and his approach in Alain de Botton's Art of Travel.

1 comment:

Jeanne Havlicek said...

Dear Joe,

Not only did you share your new understanding of the role that drawing in the minds-eye plays in your own life you also offered a strong endorsement of John Ruskin's thesis that the mental practice works for anyone. Your presentation in class made your personal discovery aesthetically rich and underscored the value of art in daily life.